This morning I woke up extremely late for some reason. I guess I am taking advantage of being off school after a long grueling battle with my textbooks. I look in the face of procrastination and came out on top. My dilemma on this April morning was my sudden craving for a BLT. For those unfamiliar with the term, a BLT is a sandwich that combines Bacon Lettuce and Tomato, carefully tucked in, under 2 slices of bread.
I think as a vegetarian, we should attack those cravings head-on, embrace them and modify them to fit our dietary preferences. As I charged into battle, I remembered a recipe my girlfriend cooked for me when I went to visit her in Ottawa. It was tofu, transformed into slices of “bacon”. The concept was so foreign, the taste was almost identical, the texture was different but still satisfying. There is a single ingredient that makes the entire difference. Find out more below.
So here we are, I made the recipe, it drastically altered my mood for the better, it made for an incredible sandwich, and here it is. Extremely easy, inexpensive, vegan, vegetarian and delicious. Check it out.
What you’ll need
- 1 brick of extra firm Tofu
- 4 drops of liquid smoke (This ingredient will revolutionize your vegetarian BBQ cooking, and this is what makes the bacon so good)
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- salt, pepper, chipotle flakes.
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
How you will do it
- In a mixing cup, mix all the ingredients for the sauce together until combined.
- Slice the tofu into thin slices, and season with salt, pepper, and chipotle flakes. Then, sear in a cast iron pan with a little bit of oil on medium heat, until golden brown on both sides, and almost crisp.
- Add the sauce to the pan, cook until the sauce is glazed to the tofu.
- Simple as that!! You can now assemble your BLT, put on veggie burgers, salads.
Tip: You can also cook in the oven, at 350 degrees F, for about 10 minutes.